Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pro Active Christianity

Jesus said things like "you are the salt of the earth". He said the violent take the kingdom by force. He said the Kingdom of God is like a mustard seed that grows into a giant tree. All of those things are active. Some of them are even invasive. They are kind of like forces to be reckoned with. If you have ever put too much salt on your expensive steak and had it ruined you know what I am talking about. It seems like most of the impact that Christianity is having on America or the western world is reactive instead of pro-active. It is defensive instead of offensive. Which is probably why in reality, it is not having much of an impact at all.
When I say offensive I don't think I am talking about the first think that pops into your mind. I don't mean offensive in the way that the world means offensive. I don't even mean offense like we typically see in the church. It's a different kind of aggression if you will.
When I speak of "offensive", I am talking about pro-active love. I am talking about crazy love. I am talking about when Jesus said "they will no you are mine by your love for one another". I am talking about sacrifice. I am talking about giving up our comforts and American ideals to help and show love to a lost and dying world. Does that make any sense? I am talking about the book of Acts. I am talking about radical obedience. I am talking about living in ways that make the world do a double take. I am talking about Christians shedding their reputation of hypocrisy, judgement, and bigotry in exchange for a reputation for doing crazy a-- things in the name of Jesus. Things that make people say "man, those guys are crazy, But they are so good. I don't get what they are all about, but they have so much peace. They are so full of life and love, but so detached from the material possessions here on this earth." I am talking about rejecting the American Dream and it's ideals and really really living for the Kingdom of God. That's what I'm talking about by Offensive..
Does that make any sense? Well if not,thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment