Monday, June 22, 2009

Learning from the older and wiser

So I was cruising through downtown this last week. I was with my wife, son, and Father who was in town visiting. We were heading up this hill when I spotted a homeless man with no legs in a wheel chair trying to make it up this busy road. He was about halfway up the hill, and he was stuck. He no longer had the strength to make it the rest of the way. In fact he was exerting energy trying not to roll backwards. I was stuck at a light and cars were starting to line up behind and besides me. I wanted to do something, but was trying to figure out what to do. There was no were to park, this is downtown one way street kind of traffic. I told my wife I wanted to help but I wasn't sure what to do. I was actually struggling because I can be a rule follower. I can be a rule follower to a fault. There can be a greater good that needs to be done, and I will get paralyzed because the law says you can't do this or that. My wife in her wisdom said pull up behind him and put on your hazards and you can jump out and push him up the hill. Genius. I pulled up behind him and my dad jumped out of the car and pushed him up. I was impressed at my dad's just make it happen mentality. It was a great lesson for me. It actually made me think about the book wild at heart. Following rules is fine and good, but when there is a man in need of help you risk a traffic ticket and just park illegally. You risk pissing off all the other drivers and you just handle business. I probably should read wild at heart again and combine that with the social justice gospel. Anyway, thanks dad for demonstrating a Nike "just do it" attitude. And thanks Mr. Elderidge for giving me something to reference that is about the heart of God and ballsy at the same time. Moral of the story- I want to learn to understand the greater good and be willing to break laws and rules when it is to live out the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment